This project supports market gardening enterprises, community allotment, including training programmes for new plot holders. It looks at the feasibility of establishing new markets through promoting heritage varieties using new branding to give added value.
Why is this important?
The importance of local food and varieties has increased in recent years and communities are beginning to understand and appreciate the importance of this. The Tamara scheme area has a long history of market gardening and orchards and these need to be retained and improved to meet the expected upsurge in local demand in the future.
- Short courses online / in person
- Short video tutorials
- Demonstration market garden site
- Demonstration allotment plots
- Exchange visits to local food enterprises and producers
- New community allotment site
- Support a network of volunteer Local Food Ambassadors who will assist with delivery of the programme and extend its impact in their communities.